A lil' crap..

Tuesday, March 27, 2007
I woke up today morning by the sms tone and the vibration of my mobile..it was little difficult to find the mobile under the pillow..and finally when i got it , there was a good morning message from my sis addressing me as 'fenii panni *so rhyming huh?* get up, good morning'.. This is one of the very few times she uses my own name..usually i bear the names of those faithful, or dumb 5 sense creatures on earth.. i I love it no matter what animal name she gives me;-)

For those who doesn't know where feni emerged from, it is from 'Fenella', my full name...There were times when I used to dislike my name especially when my maths teacher at school used to call me 'Benela'..She used to get on my nerves often when everyone else in the class grinning at me..

And i hate when ammichi (Grandma) used to call me 'funnela' (funnel??)..I used to tell her to call me 'feni' but she never listened to it since she prefered the Baptism name it seems..My nephew 9 years old calls me 'fenikuttypapa' sometimes,feni vanishes in that..If i try changing or threatening him not to tell, he will name me with still more "beautiful" names...And, I get scared when mom calls me by name, cos she does it only when she is angry on me or something like that sort..At office, needless to say few poeple prefer their own way of pronouncing my name..One colleague at office calls me 'Fanla'...Hearing him few of the other guys around started to tease me 'Fan'la, 'light'la,'AC'la etc.,

This reminds me of another incident. It was during a team treat in a restaurant when we were about to finish the lunch. People were ordering icecreams and desserts. I ordered for a Vanilla icecream. After some time when they served it, my manager suddenly turned at the guy sitting next to me yelling, 'Hey vanilla is for vanila..not for you'.. No one had any clue on what he was talking.. Then he pointed at me telling its for me and he took it by mistake..The crowd had a good laugh.. The best part is he never corrects it..not intentionally though..I too didn't give a try..:)

I used to introduce myself in places where I had to,like, in meetings and trainings only when there is no noise and people could hear me clearly..but anyways they are gonna ask me for a "Come again pls..". 'Feni' sounds easy i guess for this matter..and more than 70% of poeple I know calls/made to call me 'Feni'.The remaining strength end up giving me creative names :)

The bottom line is I believe that my name is special and unique, cos its a part of me. But more than the name, it is the people that mean a lot more, and when all the people who are close to heart call me by different/weird names, I don't mind a bit:))

*Just a crap...* hehe

 
posted by Feni at 11:51 AM, |

12 Comments:

You can add "Fenalla rajakumari " tooo :-)
Hehe... they say what's in a name? but when one's own name gets murdered, that's when it hurts heh??? I have been at the recieving end as well, feni!!! hehe.... U got company!!!

Btw, great post!!! loved it and laffed at a few lines too!!! :-)
With you Vanilla.. ;) ooopsss.. Feni... :D

I too have had innumerable such encounters.. and mostly I have given up telling people that I am "A"nchal.. and not "AA"nchal. Maybe I would still be making attempts but when your own flatmate is bent upon bending the name, little can one do. :P

Btw.. great post.. funny and sweet..
As it goes, what's in a name? ;)
hmmm...sweet one...hey feni, do u remember that spat we had over ur name in orkut? How finder didnt give ur name...how 'Jay' made fun of u...how u were angry with me...:))

All that seems too long ago, feni. :)
@Durai: Rajkumari??who is dat? ;-)
@Blessen & Anchal: Thanks for the company..hehe :)
@the last adam: Ya ya I remember Jagan..Grrrrrrrr ;-)
Quite a hillarious post....I knw quite a few people who go thru the same predicament so share ur feelings...i knw of a lady whose named Femi and her condition is no different..

Nice post and keep them coming..
Feni- You have a great name! Got the following a few months ago from a friend which amused me then and its brings a chuckle or two even now!

You see I always found naming Mallu kids a fascinating thing! What is the formula that malayalis use to name their kids? Itty Boben Jacob Elias Kuruvilla from Pazhookaville, near Thelmasherry, Kerala has consented to let us publish this classified Mallu formula, on the naming of Mallu Christian kids.

1.Select a combination of both the mother's and father's names. eg:Suresh and Sharon = Susha, or Joseph and Beena = Jobi.

2.The addition of a 'mon' (meaning son) or 'mol' (meaning daughter) is optional. eg: Sushamol, Jobimon

3.To attach a modern anglicised feel to the names, the mol or mon can be replaced with boy or girl. eg: Jobiboy, Sushagirl.

4.For the politically correct Keralite family, mol and mon can be replaced by the universal 'kutty'(child), which can be used for both boys and girls! eg: Jokutty, Susikutty.

Even parents having combination names can still give their children suitable names eg: Libi and Jobi = Lijo.

However, in the scenario where the parents already have combination names that cannot form more comprehensible child names. eg: Itty and Amukutty, would produce only Itam (which doesn't even sound like a name), or Amit (which is like Northie and stuff!!!!), then:
a.Use an English word like Baby, Merry, Titty, Pearly, Smiley, Anarchy, etc.
b.Use a combination of two English names that you think sound cool(but never cool enough) like Meredith + Gina = Megi, or Sharon + Darlene = Sharlene
c.Use a name from the Bible (and not Nebuchadnezzar! Use one that even Velliammachi can pronounce!) like Jacob, Sam, John, Joseph, Mathew, or Jijo!

d.Use a name that sounds like a cuss word but isn't. eg: Boben, Prussy, Shagi, JustinTimberlake etc. Note: The use of the letter 'j' is useful in the naming of sibling where names that sound alike are a novelty. eg: Ajji, Sajji, Majji, Bhajji and Nimajji, or Sijo, Lijo, Jijo, Anjo, Panjo, Banjo.

Thinking of which I might as well blog this! :0)
ahh.. but u missed mentioning the "feni - thanni" part... even a nick name doesnt give you solace... :-p
Hello! Good to hear from you. The name situation is rampant. People "affectionately" use these names sometimes not realizing how it makes someone feel. I have a daughter named Meiska and she getts called all kinds of things, but takes it all as love. May God bless you. Have a great day.
Thank you :)
@Life again,Christian,The Queen mum & Ruth: Thanks for stopping by :)
@Solilo: hehe yeahh :)
Haha..tat reminds me of how i got my nick name :P